<body>

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Performance = Process & Metrics, but which comes first?

Performance in business these days (and for the foreseeable future, I would imagine) is usually defined in budget discussions, then measured and reported by your Finance Department and for publicly quoted companies reported to the City. The Finance Department will of course liaise with the business functions/divisions to put together the budget, and (where the data is not collected automatically in some system) gather reporting figures.
 
The blatant misreporting of figures by a number of companies over the last few years has shown that the numbers don't tell the whole story. They describe the results of actions however inconsistent, flawed or manipulated those actions may have been.
 

So endemic is the perceived problem of reporting that the  Sarbanes-Oxley Act has been passed that forces top management to sign that the numbers have been produced correctly. This means that they must have confidence in the way the numbers have been producedSo much confidence they are willing to bet their job on it.

You could say that the numbers are the one common language in business, but as a common operational language the numbers on their own are just not enough, you need to draw together both the activities and the numbers.
 
Linking processes and metrics
 
Think about this: top management defines company goals and strategy and takes the lead on a number of key major initiatives. They will have defined the 'Critical Success Factors' (CSF) and will have outlined a budget. I am sure they will have included the Key Performance Indicators (KPI) so that the finance department can measure and assess the result. The people in charge of operations translate the efforts to be made into operational processes and this runs down the hierarchical chains of the company.
 
Yet the problem is that in many companies the two activities of (a) the definition of Key Performance Indicators and (b) translating them into operational processes to make it all happen, are not linked.  Each goes their own way.
 
As a consequence, the people in the finance department (who are doing all the work to prepare the budgets, deliver management reports and so on) have few links to what is really happening, and, conversely, the people in the operational end of the company probably have no understanding as to how their actions help in actually realising those budgets.
 
Enter the common operational language, where strategy gets translated from the top down in an uncomplicated way by defining processes linked to performance metrics. Whenever there are questions about how to do things (the operational people), or how well things are getting done (the finance people), anyone can have a look at the tools that have been used to record and describe these processes and find the most up-to-date information.
 
Corporate Performance Management
 
What I have described is sometimes called Corporate Performance Management, Business Performance Management or Enterprise Performance Management, i.e. the principle of displaying metrics and associated processes so that the overall performance of the business can be monitored and improved.
 
However, some IT analysts (such as Gartner) started off with a data- or metrics-centric view of performance management. Their view of performance management consisted of fixing the planning and reporting cycle. Currently, in most businesses, this is a series of MSExcel spreadsheets which are distributed throughout the organisation. This is being replaced by Planning systems for the budgeting cycle, and Business Intelligence and Scorecarding systems for reportingThis is not surprising as the Business Intelligence vendors are using their marketing budgets to drive the definition of CPM
 
What analysts are now recognising, driven by clients voicing their needs, is that there is a process element required to get the full picture. The previous metrics-only view is not really Corporate Performance Management, but Corporate Performance Reporting. There is no ability to change, as there is no relationship to process – the things that people really do.
 
No surprise then, that many of the Business Intelligence software vendors (such as Cognos, Business Objects and Hyperion) are now looking at how they add process management to their Corporate Performance management suites of software. I believe that this is more likely to be by acquisition (of software or software businesses) or through strategic partnerships than internal development, as the Business Intelligence vendors' world and expertise is in the management and manipulation of vast quantities of data. They have no experience in managing processes in the form of inter-related diagrams and their linked documents and applications. Combine that with the management of multiple versions and compliance and you have a very different problem.
 
What comes first: Metrics or Process?
 
Based on the understanding that both process and metrics are needed, then which comes first? This is a pertinent question as there are many companies who already have scorecarding initiatives which are defining metrics.
 
So what exactly do I mean by metrics?
 
You have a company which develops, manufactures and sells electronic equipment. Part of the strategy says that you need new product development to produce five new products, each with a minimum of £30 million sales each year by the third year as a Critical Success Factor (CSF).
 
The metric here is the number of new products with a minimum of £30 million sales per year
 
Therefore the underpinning Key Performance Indicators (KPI) in the six-stage product development process include:
  • 20 new ideas at stage two
  • budget tolerance up to 5% at stage four
  • product approval sign-off process to take less than 30 working days in stage six.
 
This gives you a hierarchy of interlinked measures, so that people at every level in the company understand their responsibilities and have clear accountability.
 
So, if you believe the Business Intelligence software vendors – just install their software and start measuring things for which you have data. This is because their software is good at aggregating all the corporate data and presenting it in a meaningful way – as reports or scorecards. However, this is not as valuable as working out what you should be measuring and going to find that data.
Once people start being measured they will start to change their behaviour. This is human nature. Over time areas of poor performance will be identified and, in analysing the processes that are broken, you need to make improvements in the processes. This requires people to change – for a second time. You will also begin to fully understand the measures, associated with the new processes, that you really want to hold people accountable for.

So this demonstrates that the metrics-first approach requires people to change twice – once as you start, and then once again as you implement improvements.

However, a process-led approach starts with an analysis of the operational processes. This reinforces the strategic direction from the top. At the highest level you define the core processes and the corresponding measures. Both the process and the metrics are broken down hierarchically, level by level, at the same time.

The act of discovering the processes helps you simplify them and improve them. At each level the metrics reinforce the new processes. Therefore change is only needed once and it is supported by shared access and adoption of the processes and metrics.

"If getting people to change is difficult, then changing twice in a relatively short space of time is more than TWICE as difficult."

 
Powered By Qumana

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

saturn is another saturn place to check out.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found offshore company incorporation to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with offshore company incorporation.

If offshore company incorporation also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about cutco knife. I have a website about cutco knife which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found w t offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with w t offshore.

If w t offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found hsbc offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with hsbc offshore.

If hsbc offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy. Like your Blog. In honor of the season's traditional emphasis, check out Step13 if you have a couple extra nickels for the down and out this season. They're an organization that helps those with drug and alcohol dependency problems. It's local but has potential as a model for other places. Also check out Rainbow Rewards
a community based shopping rewards system, local also.
While you're out and about, drop by our new website where we help people save time and money while creating your most unique online internet business opportunity.
Give us a visit and let us know what you think.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy. Like your Blog. In honor of the season's traditional emphasis, check out Step13 if you have a couple extra nickels for the down and out this season. They're an organization that helps those with drug and alcohol dependency problems. It's local but has potential as a model for other places. Also check out Rainbow Rewards
a community based shopping rewards system, local also.
While you're out and about, drop by our new website where we help people save time and money while creating their best business opportunities for women.
Give us a visit and let us know what you think.

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Ian.I was just searching blogs,and I found your site! I like it!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
Sample Job Resume Job Resume
It covers Sample Job Resume Job Resume related stuff.
All the best!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dropped by on my way around the net trying to find Blogs with a business connection. While we're doing that, just want to alert others to a local group,
Step13, which is an organization that helps those with drug and alcohol dependency problems. They do great work and are worth checking out.
Rainbow Rewards is a community based shopping rewards system, local also.
We've also started a new site where we help those with an interest in building your most unique small business web hosting companies. Please stop by and let us know what you think.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ian! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.

I also have a web site & blog about travel nurse job so I know I'm talking
about when I say yours is top-notch! Keep up the
great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

If you have a moment, please visit my site travel nurse job

Best success!

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,

I perused your post (this post) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell california road construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
california road construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like california road construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your california road construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: california road construction.

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,

I perused your post (this post) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell standard specification for road and bridge construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
standard specification for road and bridge construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like standard specification for road and bridge construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your standard specification for road and bridge construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: standard specification for road and bridge construction.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,

I perused your post (this post) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell california road construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
california road construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like california road construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your california road construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: california road construction.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ian,

I perused your post (this post) with much interest as I was looking for ways to buy and sell standard specification for road and bridge construction. Unfortunately your article was not exactly what I was looking for
standard specification for road and bridge construction. But luckily there is a site I have found that allows you to buy and sell anything like standard specification for road and bridge construction on interest free credit and you can pay for your standard specification for road and bridge construction whenever you want. Here's the link one more time: standard specification for road and bridge construction.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post... I've enjoyed reading your blog. I was searching for home job london uk work sites. I have a home based business and I wanted some ideas and tips. I also have a blog, it is www.adminsupervisor.blogspot.com it’s new and it’s getting better all the time. Have a look if you want, but I'm moving house and have not posted in a while. I'll get back to it soon.

My other site is a home job london uk work site. I recently decided to build my own income and I thought I searching for tips would help me become a better mentor.

Keep up the great work Ian, I'll be back soon.

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, you have a great blog here. this post caught my eye and I thought I would put a post on it. I'm looking for help.

The site I have is a work at home stuffing envelope in the uk site. Its all about, need I say it, working from home. I think people should have the choice to build their own income instead of somebody else’s. Freedom of well being and all of that...anyway I was on your site looking for ways to help my business. I'm really looking for ways of building better rapport between recruits.

Anyways Ian thanks for the great blog. I'll just have to carry on my search till I find what I'm looking for. Take care.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Ian, you have a pretty cool blog here. I was searching for home manchester uk work. I just started my home business and you can see it at this link - home manchester uk work. Your post title caught my eye - this post. I'm just looking for tips on how to be a better mentor. I know that’s not what you’re going on about in this post but I am trying to expand my vocabulary phrases so I can talk to many different personalities. I mean I have to talk to a lot of people and I need to be able to connect with everyone.

Anyways Ian, this helped. Keep it up, I'll be back.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian, taking a little time today to see what Worldwide Income will send me to that is interesting. this post looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try Worldwide Income in my e-travels. Have a super day!

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ian,

Your blog "this post", leads me to believe you will find my information on our Best Career Wages site to be very beneficial.

Some of the not so common searches that found our extensive wages site included ...

Agricultural Equipment Operators Wages
Agricultural Inspectors Wages
Agricultural Workers Wages
Animal Breeders Wages
Fallers Wages
Fishing Workers Supervisors Wages
Forestry Workers Supervisors Wages
Farming Workers Supervisors Wages.

We have many hundreds of "essential to read" articles on wages and career topics in addition to many other popular subjects in our Average Career Wages site.

Best Wishes
Emily

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found offshore hedge funds to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with offshore hedge funds.

If offshore hedge funds also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found offshore tax haven to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with offshore tax haven.

If offshore tax haven also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're out visiting other blogs and sites today to see what others are doing. As for us, if you have an interest in a serious internet business and not just some "Get poor quick" schemes, drop by and see us at our site where we help those with an interest in starting or building
their best search engine optimisation. We'd love to have you stop by and let us know what you think.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As we approach the new year and New Years resolutions, some modern
wisdom strikes home in the words of Yoda. "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. "
Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back'). Whatever your personal feelings about the conflict in Afghanistan and Iraq, the troops serving there are our flesh and blood and our friends and neighbors. They deserve our reassurance that we ALL support those who are placing their lives at risk, whatever the politics of the time and place. To that end there are two excellent programs that let us "Do" for our absent fellow citizens. Either of these sites are great for a "good deed". Operation Uplink is a unique program that keeps military personnel and hospitalized veterans in touch with their families and loved ones by providing them with a free phone card. You can also go to
USO Care Packages and send someone in the armed services some seasonal cheer. On the lighter side, don't miss
href="http://the-cru.blogspot.com/">In Vino, Veritas
, fun musings about
wine and food or Old worn
out saddles
, the life and times of a Montana cowboy from the early
1900's. Amazing people, our ancestors. For your business advancement, we've
started a site that helps people who are interested in improving their
href="http://www.thelynxsite.com">most unique work at home business
. Please stop by
and let us know what you think.

4:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian, taking a little time today to see what Global Business will send me to that is interesting. this post looks interesting and is a great read. Will also try Global Business in my e-travels. Have a super day!

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found offshore hedge funds to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with offshore hedge funds.

If offshore hedge funds also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with .

If also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian, it’s late in the evening, quiet and peaceful. This is good computer time for me. I thought I would check on WorldwideIncome and see what came up. this post is something that is interesting to many people. I will also spend a little time checking on WorldwideIncome. Getting late, have a good evening.

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, interesting post - this post.

Personally, I've always found edison chouest offshore to be very intriguing, and interesting, but not always very informative. So I did some research and started my own webpage to help people get started with edison chouest offshore.

If edison chouest offshore also piques your interest, come by when you've got a few seconds - check out the different resources listed. I'm sure you'll find it very interesting.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home